January 21, 2009

Biggay

Until I finish my video and write up on my inauguration experience, I'm give you a peek in to my "chattiness." A cut and paste job of an email conversation of why I don't want to the new Notorious movie about the Notorious B.I.G. Please forgive the poor grammar, writing Nazis...


Will:
Did you really like the Biggie movie? It feels so wrong.

Insana:
LOL it was entertaining, and it really didn't make me roll my eyes. Did you see it? What I would have been most interested in, which was absent from the movie, was a sense of where Biggie's confidence in his music came from. He seemed like a happy-go-lucky dude, very cheesy, and then he would start rapping and he was a different person. Where did that character come from?

Will:
I haven't seen it. I'm in full protest mode of that movie. I don't see how it could be done correctly so soon and by his mother. It's not like a history channel movie or even Malcolm X for that matter. it's a fan film. I think of it like this...I wouldn't want my mother making a movie about my life, not that it would portray me in a bad light but quite the opposite. Look at the cast, Angela Basset as the mom, you know mom had a big part in that! Really, really surprised Diddy didn't play himself. Then the dialog and story. I really feel apprehensive about the quality, in regards to the writing, acting, and truthfulness compared to entertainment value. And basically, I have an opinion and feeling about BIG already, I don't want some fan movie tainting it with look- and not so much, lookalikes and their words. sorry for the rant.

Insana:
LOL you don't have to apologize about ranting! What is your opinion of Biggie now? Actually you're right, she was the biggest actor in the movie (and did a bad job, and I really like her!) But if she didn't make the movie, who would?

Will:
oliver stone or spike lee, maybe?

not your momma or master p. Tupac's momma knew better. she will never let that shit happen while she is still alive. or get a white guy, not to be wrong, like American Gangster (which had top notch stars except T.I.).

Insana:
But if one of those did it, where would they get all of their information from? The production and direction really wasn't as bad as you think (which I'm assuming you would believe would be vastly improved by directors like those) and the movie wasn't nearly as disjointed as I thought it would be (like Cadillac Records was)

[Please reply to *******@gmail.com, I'm breaking up with Yahoo Mail today]


Will:
aww what happened? the Nigerians??? they got my yahoo mail on lock. ...if I ever catch one of them I'm going beating the shit out of them.

To me it like BET doing a made for tv movie on Malcolm X instead of Spike Lee with a credible author. I hold BIG in high regards in the sense if you have to and I mean HAVE TO make a drama out of his life, you make it Oscar worthy. I rather have someone that knows nothing about BIG spend some years researching him than someone going off a tainted memory(either of love or hate) retelling his story to the world. remember the majority of the audience may not have grew up with BIG or was that much into him, that's why it's important to do it right like said a Malcolm X movie.

Insana:
I know what you mean, in fact I agree, but see the movie first! Everything I thought about him was shown on screen, and I wasn't surprised by anything at all. That being said, maybe I should have been, because I can't even remember magazine articles I read about him, or a book, or a bio or anything, so why did I already know everything? Is that even a good thing? Did I get it all from allhiphop? Were all the rumors true? Was this movie based on rumor only??

Will:
I'm way too bias to see it now, I would be critical of everything from words to look and timeline. I don't think it is so much about the facts as is the image that I have of BIG personally. Maybe if I wasn't comfortable about my personally feelings and knowledge on the man I would watch it. but it's like the George Bush movie to me, too soon, half assed, and very bias.

Insana:
Did you see that movie, W? How was it? I am critical of everything, however, I don't really have a specific outlook on Biggie's persona like you do, so I can see what you're saying, definitely. Maybe you'd appreciate the real footage of the funeral procession through Brooklyn at the end? They kinda hoked that up though.

Will:
No I didn't see W either. did more than a handful? mostly bush haters and people who wanted to hate on oliver stone and the movie. It was took soon and emotionally guided movie. emotionally in the how it was made. instead of a fluff piece I am assuming the BIG movie is, it's a hate movie, based on bitterness. Usually if I make a stand against something I don't give in, I'm stubborn like that. But also if folks came backing say the BIG movie was awesome, movie of the year, etc..etc... I would admit to prejudging and give it a chance, but I haven't heard otherwise that would have me question my initial concerns. The sad thing to me it that I don't think anyone else will now try to do a BIG movie down the line. I think 10 years from now, about 23 years from his death, some top studio and director would have taken up the project to retell his story to a generation, and they would be force to do proper research and appeal to an global audience like the Johnny Cash and Ray Charles movies. I think they ruined that chance my making a movie too soon. so I'm a little bitter about that.

I really should steal this interaction for my blog...good subject matter.

Insana:
Hey, fine with me! Maybe I should have been more eloquent about it!

Big's movie was fluff, I can say, only because I didn't learn anything new, which is something that wouldn't have occurred to me unless we had this conversation. But aren't you curious???????


Will:
uhh no not really. and didn't curiosity kill that poor cat?

Eloquent?!? whatever, you were engaging and you made me think and vocalize my thoughts and feelings. that's what counts, Katie.

eloquent and my blog don't go together, anyway, it's as awkward as couple that looks like they can be siblings dating. That's why I need an editor, plus the bad spelling, poor grammar and word usage. Plus, I only have a handful of readers anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment